From our large 1,800 sq. ft. 2-bedroom apartment in Dallas, to our tiny 500 sq. ft. apartment in New York, our Elfa closet system from The Container Store, continues to make each move as it easily adapts to each closet configuration. You can see our Dallas closet by clicking here.
As one of the 20 Brand Ambassadors for The Container Store, I’ve been completing monthly organization projects around our home using their products. This month I am sharing how I organized my closet, along with 5 easy tips to help you organize yours.
Whether you have a large walk-in or a small closet like me, the Elfa system from The Container Store can help you organize your space no matter its size and configuration.
In our New York City apartment, we only have one closet, so my husband and I have no other option but to share. Dividing it in two and mirroring both sides made the most sense, so each of us would have the same amount of space to store clothes, bags and even shoes! No need to tell you that every inch of space is being used. Our Elfa system helps us keep everything easily accessible, organized and looking great.
Here are 5 tips that I would personally give anyone interested in reorganizing their closet.
1. Only keep what you use and donate what you don’t. Because of the limited space available, keeping your wardrobe edited is key. For example, if you decide to buy a new shirt, donate one.
2. Organize your clothes by category (dress pants together, casual pants together…), and/or by color. Not only will it help you find easily what you need when you need it, it will also look better.
3. Label your drawers and shelves. This is particularly important if you are not the only one doing the laundry. It will help your housekeeper or simply your partner know where things go when doing the laundry.
4. Use matching hangers. The reason is mostly aesthetical. Your closet will look much more coherent visually.
5. As for your clothes dry cleaned, don’t put them in your closet on the wire hanger or the plastic covering it came in, but take the time to hang them on your own hangers. It will help your clothes keep their shape, but it will also look so much cleaner.
I hope you enjoyed the tour of our tiny New York City closet. Our closet system isn’t the only element that’s from The Container Store, but also the shoe organizers, hangers and even the white shelving units at the top of our closet.
Click here to start shopping The Container Store’s Elfa closet system.